Availability of the Town of Millington
2016 Drinking Water Quality Report
The Consumer Confidence Report for the year 2016
for the Town of Millington is available.
The link for the PDF version of this report is located
on the Utilities Page of this website.
To request a paper copy please contact the Millington Town Office
Welcome to the Town of Millington
The residents of the Town of Millington envision making our town a desirable place to live, work, and play. Millington is a place of beauty, diversity and pleasant memories. A self-sufficient, caring small town with a tradition of rural living and slow, controlled, growth; Millington is a community of opportunity for its many locally-owned small businesses.
History of the Town of Millington
The Town of Millington, a municipal corporation under Maryland law, was originally chartered as a town by the Maryland General Assembly in 1798. The town was incorporated in 1890. Millington grew up as a small village located on the Chester River, sharing shores with both Kent and Queen Anne's County. The land on which it is located was settled in the late 17th century. Over the years, the name of the town has changed - originating as Head of Chester, to Bridgetown around 1724, and finally in 1818 to become known as the Town of Millington.
Prior to the Civil War
The Town of Millington was a busy seat of commerce and agriculture. Millington was located in the center of a large corn, wheat, and fruit growing area. Downtown commerce included a hardware store, clothing and supply shops, a bank, hotels, and mills. In the late 1860s, the railroad was constructed connecting Wilmington and Philadelphia to Millington and points further south. The Kent and Queen Anne's Railroad enabled Millington to become one of the largest peach shippers in the county for many years.
Today, Millington is still a small town with strong echoes from the past. Millington is a walkable, self-contained town with a clear rural character and atmosphere. The town has two public parks and a skateboard park within the town limits. The Millington Ballfield Association, in conjunction with the Millington Lions Club, has a facility on the Kent County Board of Education property close to the town limits. The Millington Swim Club facility, with a swimming pool and tennis court, is located partially in the Town limits and is owned and operated by the Kent County Parks and Recreation for public use. Also, the head of the Chester River runs through the Town of Millington, offering lovely public fishing areas with perch spawning in the spring, and catfish, spot, sunfish, yellow perch and the occasional striped bass throughout the remainder of the season.